Thursday, March 08, 2007

Flying to JB

I had some work in JB. Initially I was suppose to be in JB from Wednesday till Friday. I was looking forward for the trip (or more precisely personal side trip). The plan was: drive to JB on Tuesday noon, and perhaps go to Singapore on Saturday before heading back to KL on Sunday.

Then another e-mailed followed. I have to be in KL the whole tuesday. And be back in KL for meeting on Friday morning. I was to fly down to JB, complete whatever I am suppose to do in two days, and fly back to KL. Normally, anyone would jumped at the opportunity of flying for free (i.e. at company's expense). But the thought of having to rush down south and back to KL, and not to forget the rush to complete the job in two days, diminished the excitement.

And so, on wednesday morning, I had to peel myself out of the comfort of my bed at 5.30am. Had a cold shower and got ready to leave for KLIA. By 6.45 am I was already in KLIA, checking-in. The people on the flight were mostly dressed in 'power-suits'. I guess most were business travelllers. Perhaps who in the right mind would want to get on the first flight early in the morning other than people with urgent matters.

The plane flew above Johor around 8.00 am. It was a welcoming sight to see acres and acres of green land from the plane window. A stark contrast from what you would see above Klang Valley. Sorry no picture to show since cellphone was switched off.

I wanted to take the airport taxi. I headed to the ticket counter at the airport entrance. It wasn't the counter for taxi, but the counter for bus. The helpful man at the counter pointed me to the direction of a yellow bus near the car park. It was the normal bus. Boarded the bus and drop the bus fare into the coin box (similar to the box in Rapid KL buses). It only cost me RM1.90 to get to Skudai versus taking a RM20 taxi.

At the end of the day, a colleague sent me to a budget hotel - Rose Cottage Hotel somewhere in Taman University. I had intended to spend the night in Hotel Kelana but since the colleague was willing to fetch me the following morning and send me to the site, I agreed. The hotel was actually shop houses converted into budget hotel. Room rate starts at RM58 (for single bed) with breakfast. The room was quite small but big enough for one person. Facility provided were a single bed, tv opposite the bed, an aircond above the tv, a closed, a dresser, and attached bathroom complete with hot shower. Very basic but was better than the room I had in Good Hope the last time I was in Skudai.

The next morning, I headed down to the lobby for breakfast. The lovely lady told me to help myself for the bread on the counter. The breakfast was simple, loaf of bread neatly arranged in a plastic container. An electric toaster for the bread. A bowl of half-boil eggs. There were also some spreads (kaya, butter and jam) to go with the bread. At 7.30am my colleague fetch me at the hotel and sent me to the site.

I reluctantly left JB on the 6.40pm flight. Reluctant because after there was much more to do. And not to forget, the absence of KL-like-traffic jams.

No comments: