Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Disturbing Views

I'd found this website about the television series 'Heroes'. They have some sort of interactive comic on the website. What caught my attention was the chapter 13.

The wireless girl was depicted as fighting for her country independence. From the comic, we get the idea that her country is Israel and the bad guys are the Arabs. Needless to say, she is a Jew. Her grandma survived Auschwitz. Her mother fought in Six-day-war.

It makes me wonder, if this (fighting for independence) is the kind of view that young (Israel's) Jews have? If it is, it generates another question: is the comic on the website trying to sell the idea to the rest of the world. It is very disturbing. I'm no historian, nor hold any qualification in international politics, but if memory serves me right, this idea is somewhat flawed.

To begin with, the Arabs wasn't the one who torture the Jews during Holocaust. It was the Europeans. I'm pretty sure Auschwitz is not in Arab. When World War 2 (along with it, Holocaust) ended, the 'powers' involved in the war decided to 'send' the 'displaced' Jews to Palestine, an Arab land. Before World War 2, though there were Jews in Arab, the was no Israel (again, I'm no historian - check the facts yourself).

Really makes me wonder who was fighting for independence, the Jews or the Arabs? Was it James Dean who once said Jews control pretty much of Hollywood? If it's true, perhaps it explain the 'subtle' message the comic trying to send. Would that stop me from watching tv? No, there's too much Hollywood stuff on TV and silverscreen. I'll take them 'with a pinch of salt'.

No comments: