Friday, October 31, 2008

Unfinished

If you don’t already know, unfinished is the one word best describes Kelly’s Castle. The owner built the house for his wife and children. Unfortunately the wife died before the house was completed. The owner continued to build the house. He was on his way to pick up what would be Malaysia’s first lift (or, if you are an American, elevator) when he fell ill and died.

The were no one there but me. The courtyard and the corridors were equally deserted. A breeze followed by windows slamming sent shiver down my spine. I had lived in one of those colonial 'government-owned' mansion. It was creepy, even when it was constantly inhabited. So imagine the creepiness of this unfinished and abandon structure.

However, even in its unfinished state, I could imagine the grandeur of the castle, had Kelly finished the project. Dark wooden floor. High ceiling. Hidden escape staircase. And even rooftop tennis court! I could almost see the company and parties that he might have thrown there.

Alas, the project was unfinished and abandon. And so, like the owners, I too left the castle.

(p.s. pictures uploaded.)

No comments: